"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth."

~Psalm 119:103



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Come Unto Me"
(Matthew 11:28-30)

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


I am reading two books right now that I hope will help me to expand my personal experience with Jesus Christ in 2012. The first is 21 Days Closer to Christ by Emily Freeman, which I plan to read over 21 weeks (instead of days). The second is Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver, which includes a 12-week companion Bible study. The message of the opening chapters of both books is the same. "Come."

Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him (Mark 1:16-18, emphasis added).


Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour (John 1:38-39, emphasis added).


Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God (Moroni 10:32, emphasis added).


Like Jesus' friend Martha, I often find myself "careful and troubled about many things" (Luke 10:41). I must remember "but one thing is needful" (Luke 10:42). I can forsake my "nets" - time constraints, daily chores, work demands, worldly pursuits, and feelings of inadequacy and fear - and choose "that good part, which shall not be taken away from [me]" (Luke 10:42). I can "come and see"!

Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me (D&C 19:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment